Wired PC Wireless Laptop set up question ?

shanklyn 15:03 27 Oct 06

Hi guys first post, have searched but cant find anything in terms I can get my head around. I have an old pc running windows 98se and a 2 meg Demon connection through a BT line. Will be getting a wireless laptop of some sort for my boy at christmas.

I dont need the pc to be wireless as it directly upstairs above the bt point, and dont need the hassle to be honest. Can I just add a router and use the existing usb modem ?

Thanks in advance, any links to the equipment/advice needed would be great !!

mgmcc 17:07 27 Oct 06

You need to get a *COMBINED* "Router & ADSL Modem" which replaces your existing USB modem.

A USB modem cannot be used in conjunction with a router.

Presumably, you will want the new laptop to be able to connect "wirelessly" even if your existing PC connects by ethernet (which it will have to do with a router), in which case you need a "Wireless Router & ADSL Modem"

Strawballs 22:46 27 Oct 06

click here this is a few examples of what you will need you can buy from elsewhere and you 98SE PC can plug directly into one of the LAN ports on the router and the laptop wirelessly.

Ashrich 21:19 28 Oct 06

All supposing your existing PC has a Ethernet card fitted or onboard port on the motherboard to use Ethernet .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017