wired network

rsinbad 12:41 26 Feb 06

I have purchase a netgear Router/modem/switch DG834G.
I have yet to set this all up as initially a wired configuration, and later wireless for the laptop.
The store that sold me the device said that all i would need is to connect both desktop and laptop to the router, and would not need any other hardware for a wired configuration.

would appreciate your comments on what if anything i would need to setup the wired con figuration

dms05 13:49 26 Feb 06

I think the advice you have been given is correct - I'm assuming the DG834G has multiple RJ45 LAN connectors. Just run normal Ethernet RJ45 Patch cables between the Router and the PC's. You can then share the Internet connection. It really is that easy.

When you get round to the Wireless connection (for the laptop) you will find that should be fairly straight forward - you need to set the SSID, Channel and WEP encryption but that isn't difficult and the Netgear will take you through the steps. Before you finalise the WiFi check on any other wireless networks close by and select a channel that doesn't conflict. Good luck.

keewaa 13:55 26 Feb 06

I assume your laptop has wireless built into it and you have ADSL broadband and not cable?

If so then yes, you have all that you need.

Assuming the desktop has a network port (if not buy a network card for £10), wire the desktop to the router using the ethernet cable that comes with it. Set it all up as in the Netgear setup guide and get the desktop 100% working before turning the laptop on and setting up the wireless.

If your ISP is AOL there are some additional configurations.

rsinbad 14:20 26 Feb 06

Thanks for your response laptop has built in wireless and desktop does have a network port.

Is there a limet to the length of ethanic cable?

keewaa 19:46 26 Feb 06

about 100m is quoted as the limit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5