Wired LAN Problem

sidewinder318 19:01 08 Aug 08

Just bought a 'refurbished' laptop which has had a clean re-install of WXP. Wireless performance is brilliant - come to connect a wired LAN cable and nothing happens - does not 'see' the wired connection - I have downloaded 'driver detective' and updated the drivers as far as I can see but still no joy. Could the wired lan be 'switched off' some how or is simply.... well knackered!! - Can any body advise. Many thanks

chub_tor 19:06 08 Aug 08

Right click My Computer, Properties, Device Manager and look for the Local Area Network to see if has any warning triangles or exclamation marks. You can also check if it is enabled.

sidewinder318 19:10 08 Aug 08

Still no good - 'Local Area Network' is not listed - Any other ideas?

Eric10 19:17 08 Aug 08

Your network adapter should be listed under "Network adapters" in Device Manager. If it isn't listed, or if there isn't a "Network adapters" section then look in the BIOS to see if the onboard Lan is disabled there.

T0SH 19:30 08 Aug 08

It could be the ethernet card was removed to fit the wireless lan card often laptops only have one Mini Pci slot

you can get PCMCIA or USB ethernet adaptors that would allow you a wired option

Cheers HC

sidewinder318 19:54 08 Aug 08

Thanks to Eric10 - Went into BIOS and the Ethernet was disabled - Downloaded the driver and Bob's your Uncle - now workin fine - Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…