Wired ethernet connection from PC to Xbox with ICS

Ricktos 21:24 09 Feb 09

...basically not working.

I did get it working via everything being on automatic detection (IP addresses, etc) following a restart. Unfortunately, I contracted a virus the other day and since then the network connection hasn't worked. Saying that, the Xbox can detect the files in the shared folders and the computer can detect files on the Xbox. However, when I try to 'Test' the Xbox connection to the computer/network, it always fails confirming that it cannot get an IP address.

I'm running 32-bit Vista Ultimate and ICS is set to allow sharing. There is another post that advises to add ports,etc which I've tried but with no success. PC and Xbox are connected via cross-over ethernet cable and ISP is Vigin Media via modem on a 2mb connection.

The virus is something that keeps reappearing while the computers on. Aside from opening IE and going to several pages and flagging up my avast, it doesn't seem to be affecting anything else, except obviously my network. It is being detected as a Win32:Trojan-gen. Another forum advised stopping system restore which has been done but doesn't seem to make much difference.

Internet is working fine and there are no pages that I'm unable to get to.

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can help...

PSF 21:54 09 Feb 09

I would run this program to get rid of the virus first. It is called mailwarebytes click here update it and run a full scan.

Ricktos 08:04 10 Feb 09

Didn't get rid of the virus unfortunately although it did detect and try to delete 55 files.

About 5 of them required deletion after reboot but the next reboot brought up an error message saying there was an unauthorised change to Windows..

Any other suggestions welcome.

Ricktos 18:29 10 Feb 09

This has seemed to make IE run better as it no longer opens IE pages when I run IE. However I do still keep getting warnings from Avast saying a trojan worm has been detected in the Win32 folder.

Ricktos 16:16 11 Feb 09

Bump

Ricktos 20:59 12 Feb 09

Still need help if anyone can help...

PSF 22:48 12 Feb 09

Install and run this program it is superantispyware click here to see if it can get fir of the Trojan. If you enable real time protection it stops the Trojan re-installing straight away.

Ricktos 20:00 13 Feb 09

Hiya

The trojan doesn't re-install straight away anyway, seems to be set at completely random intervals, sometimes during use or while it's been left on and alone for a little while.

I've tried the program, found plenty of files to delete/quarentine but the problem still occurs.

Also, still nothing with the Xbox for Xbox Live. Media Centre won't detect a connection although the Xbox can still navigate to a shared folder on the PC...

ICS is turned on, firewall settings have been checked, can't seem to find what the problem is stopping the Xbox from going Live via the PC...

Ricktos 15:54 14 Feb 09

This link contains a guide which should get things working, it did on mine :)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5