Wired connection to router consistently drops

EpicBurger 19:12 PM 05 Sep 13

I am currently using Comcast internet through a wired ethernet connection to a Arris TG862 modem/router combo, and I'm having a very annoying issue. I'm also using Windows 7.

My internet connection is fine for basic use, but when I attempt to do something that requires a consistent connection (gaming, in this case), I will consistently drop connection and lose all connection to the router for roughly 10-30 seconds before it comes back up.

This is consistent across multiple online services (GWFL, Uplay, Steam, Origin, etc.) and only seems to come into play when using them, most notably with GFWL. Beyond that, I generally don't have issues connecting to and browsing websites, including flash sites like Youtube.

I assume that it might be an issue with the ethernet cable itself, but as I have to run a line through my basement to connect to my computer, I want to see if there's a different issue before I commit to replacing it.

Thanks for any advice or assistance you can offer me.

rdave13 22:01 PM 08 Sep 13

Have a word with your ISP first so they can check the line. They also might be throttling you.

rdave13 22:02 PM 08 Sep 13

Have a word with your ISP first so they can check the line. They also might be throttling you.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites