Wired connection

jtw 18:25 01 Nov 06

Have (at last) got our wireless Buffalo modem router working with 2 laptops in the house.
Just can not get it to work with the usb adapter in our desktop machine.
Is it easier and would it work if I just had the router connected to the LAN on the desktop?

anskyber 18:30 01 Nov 06

The Ethernet connection is usually the preferred one, yes the LAN. But if you do want o use USB have you installed the drivers from the Buffalo disc? I assume there was one there usually is.

woodchip 18:31 01 Nov 06

Yes a Ethernet cable would or should work strait away. The USB as to have the Router settings put into the USB software on the Desktop for it to work as Wireless. SSID, Password, User etc

woodchip 18:32 01 Nov 06

PS if you double click the ICON in the system tray that is where you put the settings

jtw 18:46 01 Nov 06

thanks.
Just to get this straight before i start.
I can plug the router in to the Lan at the back of the desktop and the phone line and the desktop will connect to the internet and the 2 laptops will work wirelessly. Do I need to have the desktop on for the wireless bit to work?

jtw 18:47 01 Nov 06

Sorry to be so stupid but has taken a while to get it to where it is now. Says 20mins in the manual Ho Ho Ho Ho

woodchip 22:27 01 Nov 06

You have to put a BB filter in the BT line socket if it's going to have a Phone connected at any point. Also you only need the router on for any computer that connects can do so. But they do need to be configured to do so

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…