Wire-Less Connection

peterleemaxwell 15:58 15 Feb 05

Hi,
I'm new to this wire-less connection business and I'm looking for advise. I have a NTL modem box connected to a desk-top PC via Ethernet. I also have a lap-top. As the modem is downstairs would it be possible to connect this to a router and also if I then connected the router to a USB Wire-less network adaptor, I could move the desktop upstairs? Hope there is someone that can give me the benefit of his experience. thanks.

spikeychris 16:37 15 Feb 05

When you say "I have a NTL modem box" is this the set-top box? If so just unplug the Cat5 cable and plug in the router. You can leave the desktop downstairs if you wish or take it upstairs the wifi router will find it.

You can use a USB adaptor if you wish on both the desktop and laptop but a PCMCIA card on the laptop makes life easier. You will be surprised how easy this is to set up, the installation disks now come with a full A to Z guide and you cant really go wrong.

peterleemaxwell 16:59 15 Feb 05

Thanks spikeychris.
Your advise as always is invaluable. You've help me in the past. Much appreciated.

spikeychris 17:23 15 Feb 05

Your welcome Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…