Wiping laptop hard drive when laptop has no power!

justjill 15:03 26 Jan 09

Hello.

We have an old Dell laptop that was working perfectly well until my husband tripped over the power lead and bent the socket. We can no longer charge it up and apparently to fix it would cost as much as a working second-hand laptop. There is very little power left in the battery so I don't think it would stay alive long enough to scrub the hard drive. Is there any way we can do it by wiring it up to our main PC?

We'd like to keep the Windows XP on it and just get rid of the files but it was previously used for work and there is some industry-sensitive data on it. Unlikely to be of use to many but it could cause trouble if it got out.

Is there a way of getting rid of the data for good while keeping Windows XP?

Oh, and can I have the moon on a stick as well, please ;)

tullie 15:10 26 Jan 09

Get a usb caddy for it,put the hard drive in the caddy and access your files via another computer.

crosstrainer 15:13 26 Jan 09

Can't give you the moon, but you can resue your files.

You need to dismantle the laptop and remove the old HDD from it (not too daunting really)

Then purchase an external caddy the likes of:

click here

Make sure you buy the correct size.

Once you have put the old HDD into the caddy, connect it to your pc via USB, and rescue your files.

crosstrainer 15:14 26 Jan 09

Cross posted :)) can you help with the moon on a stick? I'm stumped by that one :))

tullie 15:38 26 Jan 09

Me too

tullie 15:41 26 Jan 09

Or you could try this
click here

crosstrainer 15:46 26 Jan 09

:))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…