Wiping hard drives

kevvyb 20:37 03 Sep 05

I know this is fraught with difficulties but I would quite like ot sell my old hard drives. Is this something you would do?

I have erased files with either iolo search and destroy 'file terminator or the secure shredder in Spybot, doing over 5 passes to ensure a randon bit pattern.

I have then deleted all the partitions with PM and then low level formatted the drives as well with the relevant manufacturer software for the drive.

A search with Iolo Search and Destroy for files that can be recovered ahs then found nothing of any real note in fact giving only one 'system' file (can't remember what it was).

Would it be best to hold onto these as possible xtra storage? Would it be bettre to destroy them rather than selll on?

justme 20:40 03 Sep 05

It all depends on just how much you would get for your old hard drive. I would suspect that you would not get very much and therefore I would tend to hold on to the drive and possibly use it for backing up.

You do back up your data, don't you.

selfbuild 20:47 03 Sep 05

Active Killdisk will wipe any hard drive or floppy of infomation click here

This is best run if your thinking of giving or selling the drive to somebody else.....

DieSse 21:33 03 Sep 05

What you've already done will make the old drives perfectly safe to sell on, if you wish to do so. There is no possibility of recovering anything except possibly with very sophisticated machines which the general public does not possess. And even then you may have done more than enough to make it impossible by any means at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…