wiping hard drive permanently

imarcus2 18:48 02 Nov 06

I have an old PC on W98 and I am about to chuck it. How can I enbsure the data on the disk is permanently and irretrievably erased?

skidzy 18:51 02 Nov 06

With a hammer Marcus ! seriously if you intend to get rid of this drive,break it up.Or click here

Fingees 18:54 02 Nov 06

There are free programs to do this, but if you are going to dump it, and not give it away.
The best way is to take it apart, by unscrewing it,unsrew it and wreck the disk inside with a hammer or such.

that way nothing can be saved or retrieved.

Legolas 19:00 02 Nov 06

As above if you are just dumping the harddisk. Try this if you are thinking of giving it away click here I have used this in the past and it overwrites your drive multiple times

Legolas 19:02 02 Nov 06

I jut noticed autoclave has been superceded by this click here again free

Simsy 19:55 02 Nov 06

Disk Wiper is on the latest PCA coverdisc. I've not yet used it, but I've installed it to see how it works, and it would appear to do a thorough job.

You can also use it to build a boot disc which can then be used to boot from and wipe a HDD on a system which has no OS.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

imarcus2 23:26 02 Nov 06

Yes, it's a giveaway job, so the disk cleaning progs are just the thing I need.

Thanks very much chaps, I reckon it's answered the query -- spot on!

Stuartli 00:19 03 Nov 06

Apparently the Nigerians are (it's alleged) importing as many computer systems as they can, no matter how old or how many attempts made to destroy the information on hard drives, as they still have the means to extract information that can prove of benefit to them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…