Wiping a Hard Drive

Sticky Minton 20:25 28 May 05

I an currently trying to build my first custom PC.

I have been given a Maxtor hard drive.

How do I wipe it too make sure it's clean before in install it into my custom build.

I also have a working PC that can be used for any work needed doing too it first.

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:59 28 May 05

An ordinary Format will clean it good enough for your purposes.

dan11 21:18 28 May 05

"I an currently trying to build my first custom PC. "

Are going to use XP a the operating system? If so

Enter the bios and select the first boot device to cdrom, F10 to save settings and exit. Insert the windows XP disk.

It will prompt you to press any key to start the installation. After it has asked for F8 to accept the agreement, it will ask you if you wish to format the drive. Pick either fat32 or NTFS, whatever is your preference and full format.

This will wipe the disk clean enough for you.

Sticky Minton 21:42 28 May 05

thanks to all

Monument 08:13 29 May 05

Be aware that "Format will clean it good enough for your purposes" means that no data will actually be deleted.

If I were to receive a second hand drive I would want to be 100% sure that it contained nothing inappropriate.

Once you have installed XP have a look at this, about a little known utility called Cipher.exe included in XP.

http: // support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315672 remove the spaces each side of the //

This utility will overwrite all the deleted/unallocated areas on the hard drive. Only then can you be 100% sure of the integrity of the data on your drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…