Wiping drives before passing PC on

bukkaz 21:57 02 Jun 06

Got a new PC and thinking of giving old one to a charity. Any reliable way of making information on it inaccessible? Mainly because of bank references etc. but also because two teenage sons who have had access to it may have left some let's say undesirable stuff on it as well.

rambus 22:08 02 Jun 06

either take the harddrive out and break it up or you could reformat it so the pc is like it just came out the box, someone would have to be very pc savey to recover your info then (though not impossible but highly inprobable)i certainly would not give a pc away without reformating and reinstalling a fresh operating system, only takes about an hour, whoever gets it can personalise it themselves, ie, anti-virus, downloads, updates ect

SANTOS7 22:09 02 Jun 06

click here
the link will help, as far as giving old PC to charity, Honourable gesture my friend,good luck...

Belatucadrus 23:52 02 Jun 06

click here Eraser

silverous 00:00 03 Jun 06

look up Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) - you put the disk in, reboot and it helps you wipe the disks multiple times (securely).

Formatting once won't do the job and for the extra little effort I think it is worth doing securely.

Did anyone see the story last week about the guy who sold a broken laptop on ebay? The buyer wasn't happy so recovered all his files some of which he probably didn't want the world to see/know about and then published them on a website!

kjrider 00:04 03 Jun 06

My son picked up a PC from the Council tip.

On the HD he found lots of letters and interviews, as the PC had been owned by a journalist for one of the daily papers.

GANDALF <|:-)> 06:52 03 Jun 06

A point about the laptop on Ebay...the seller had not wiped or formatted the drive so all the info was easily available.

G

jack 08:52 03 Jun 06

It all depends on what you have on the drive that may be important/embarrassing to you.

Strictly speaking passing on a a computer with a MS operating system/programs on is upsetting to MS because they like to collect a shilling at every move.

If you have sensitive data on it - then as suggested is to take the drive out and destroy it - Extreme but safe.

If you are aware of who the final user will bend trust them then simple deletion should be enough.

Arnie 09:04 03 Jun 06

"The buyer wasn't happy so recovered all his files some of which he probably didn't want the world to see/know about and then published them on a website!".
Despicable. He should be locked up.

silverous 09:56 03 Jun 06

I'm not sure it would have mattered even if he had formatted it as I understand there are tools around that would have allowed files to be recovered.

bukkaz 11:27 03 Jun 06

Are you saying silverous that you can't wipe files enough to stop recovery or that formatting won't do the job but other methods will. Have eraser but didn't think it would stop recovery from someone determined to do so - will it in fact?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…