Wiping blank space.

Johnboy 09:50 19 Jul 04

I have had to use my laptop (WXP) for some very confidential commercial documents which I have now completed.

I have deleted them from the hard drive, but I understrand that that merely knocks the first letter off the filename and that the space taken by the file is not really blank but is treated as such and may ultimately be re-written on.

How can I delete all references to the documents so that a hacker or thief of my laptop cannot restore or retrieve the file.

There used to be a thing called a "Government Wipe" in Norton but I cannot find it on the current version.

I understand that I need to write over all the blank space so that refences to the documents are taken up with other data. I do not want to have to reformat the hard drive.

JayDay 10:05 19 Jul 04

Try RWipe & Clean click here

Graham ® 10:13 19 Jul 04

But have a read here also click here

wee eddie 10:50 19 Jul 04

If you delete the content of the document, before deleting the document. You have an added level of security.

Back-ups:
Depending which on word-processing program you are using and how it's security copies are set up, you may have to remove your .tmp files as well.

wee eddie 16:42 19 Jul 04

I'm just giving this thread a bump, as I am interested in the total destruction of individual files.

Idea!

Having highlighted and then deleted the content of each file. Write the above, if nothing else, it will annoy anyone who has taken the trouble to try and find the file.

Chegs ® 16:56 19 Jul 04

click here;en-us;q315672&sd=tech

Administrators can use Cipher.exe to encrypt and decrypt data on drives that use the NTFS file system and to view the encryption status of files and folders from a command prompt. An updated version of the Cipher tool has been released for Windows 2000, and is included with Windows XP. The updated version adds another security option. This new option is the ability to overwrite data that you have deleted so that it cannot be recovered and accessed.

When you delete files or folders, the data is not initially removed from the hard disk. Instead, the space on the disk that was occupied by the deleted data is "deallocated." After it is deallocated, the space is available for use when new data is written to the disk. Until the space is overwritten, it is possible to recover the deleted data by using a low-level disk editor or data-recovery software.

Chegs ® 16:58 19 Jul 04

click here

I hate trying to get M$ links to work in here. ;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 19 Jul 04

File erasers :-
Eraser click here
Ultrawipe click here

byfordr 20:29 19 Jul 04

For info!

jack 20:37 19 Jul 04

Well you have lots of idea on how to remove files
but some one with real intent will get at whats on the disk.

The only sure fire remdy to ensure total security
with harddrive that is passing away from you is........
.................... A TOFFEE HAMMER

R4 20:49 19 Jul 04

There used to be a thing called a "Government Wipe" in Norton but I cannot find it on the current version.

It's called Wipeinfo in Nortom Utilites/Systemworks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…