wipe out and a new start

jarani 21:04 27 Oct 05

I have an old computer which works well except that it has become very slow with age - I need a complete uninstall and start again with win98se for which I have a disk - I always work with floppies so have nothing to back up or save - other software is also on disks which I can re-install - where do I start please ? jarani

woodchip 22:41 27 Oct 05

you need all drivers for the Computer. load the startup disc if you have made one, If not go to Control Panel Put floppy in computer double click Add Remove programs Startup disc tab at the top. Start computer with disc leave until it gets to A:\> then type so it looks like this

curlylad 22:41 27 Oct 05

I have just had to do this for a friends PC and wasn't 100% with the exact procedure but found these 2 sites very useful , they got me through with no problems.click here and click here

Make sure you read through them thouroughly before you even attempt to make a start.They give a check list on what you will need and a step by step procedure.When you have read them backwards , have all the tools and info , the necessary software and uninterupted time , then and only then begin , oh and good luck !

woodchip 22:42 27 Oct 05

A:\>format C: then press enter follow what it says. When you get to the end it will ask for a Volume name just press enter. this will take you back to A:\>

Next bit, put your Win98se Disc in comp, leave the floppy disc in and reboot, choose start with CD rom support. It will oad a Ram Drive it will take the CD rom Drive letter if it was D:\ then after you have loaded the Ram drive and its got back to A:\> type the next letter up from what it was, if the CD drive was D:\ type E: and press enter then just typ setup press enter. if it starts it will do a quick scandisk of drive C: press x after its done and follow the on screen prompts to load windows you will need the Windows KEY of the book or Computer to install part way through.

jarani 21:29 29 Oct 05

woodchip and curlylad - thanks, I will have a go - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…