wipe harddrive to sell computer

chaz-238897 20:45 26 Jun 08

I am thinking of selling my laptop, but want to get rid of personal info. Can I do it without removing XP, so I do not have to reinstall?
Free or paid for programme?

woodchip 20:50 26 Jun 08

The best you could do is remove all you can find of your own stuff then use a program that wipes free space. But you are not going to get it all without a format and reinstall

Gongoozler 21:01 26 Jun 08

Don't forget that deleted files can still be recovered, so if there is any really sensitive data there, you will have to use a program that irretrievably deletes it. I'm not at all sure you can do this without deleting the whole drive. This program claims to do the job, but it costs click here. There may be a free alternative.

grey george 21:04 26 Jun 08

Most security shredders would remove the os as well. You could use ccleaner to get most of it or do you have a system restore point or back up which would take you back to when you first brought the machine? Over writing the free space sereval times is how many work. You could copy a large video file until the drive is full and then delete it.

chaz-238897 15:52 29 Jun 08

Thanks for the answers, you confirm what I thought. Will go the video file route I think

bremner 15:58 29 Jun 08

What you want is eraser click here

Will securely delete your sensitive files and can then be set to overwrite the free space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…