wipe hard drive completely

macrobbo 13:02 05 Feb 05

Please could you give a novice help, step by step to completely wipe my hard drive, as I am giving my computer (windows me) to a friend. So it does not matter about recovery of information (nothing that vital). I don't need to re-install anything.
Thanks.

mattyc_92 13:03 05 Feb 05

It is called "formatting".... You will need the operating system's installation disk to proceed... Do you have this disk (it is a CD-ROM disk)???

macrobbo 13:18 05 Feb 05

Yes I have the disk (restore cd, bootable disk) is that the one?

mattyc_92 13:23 05 Feb 05

Yes...

Insert the disk into the drive and restart the system.... Look out for the message "Press any key to boot from cd.." and when you see this, press a key...

Now wait until the Setup is loaded... Then press "enter->F8->d->L->Enter->enter" to format the system and install windows....

Then the system will restart, but don't boot from the cd this time... Ignore the message and allow the system to boot from the hard-disk...

Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installation and then you have suggessfully formatted and installed Windows....

macrobbo 13:29 05 Feb 05

Thanks for your help mattyc_92

mattyc_92 13:31 05 Feb 05

you are welcome...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…