Winzip - Compressed MP3 tracks

whiskeyjjw 14:39 26 Oct 03

Hi all. I've just started on the compression route and used Winzip8 to compress all my music folders into 3 music files to save space. The question is:
Can I play the music back without having to decompress the files?
I can't find any references to this anywhere, and any help would be gratefully received.
Thanx guys.

recap 14:55 26 Oct 03

When using Winzip you need to uncompress the data to read it once it has been compressed. With just MP3 your system once it has the necessary software will uncompress it automatically.

Pesala 15:01 26 Oct 03

Compressing them will save a negligible amount of space.There is also the slight risk that if the zip file becomes corrupted, you will lose the whole lot. If space is a problem, put them on CD

DieSse 15:03 26 Oct 03

MP3 is already a highly compressed format - are you sure you're actually saving any meaningful amount of space?

daba 15:29 26 Oct 03

.... or any space at all?

Sometimes compression of mp3 or mpg files results in a bigger file because of the way WinZip works.

Then it will obviously take longer to extract (to a temp file) and run as an mp3, than if it was left alone.

Then there's the extra "wear and tear" on your HDD that all this temp extraction needs (it has to make a new file) and then deletion after closing. That makes at least 3 "extra" FAT (file allocation table) activities (and double that again for FAT2) that wouldn't be needed if kept as an mp3.

My advice - not worth the effort, nowt to gain from it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…