WinZip

fazer 12:29 09 Sep 05

Please forgive me if this is a daft question ...!

Is Winzip supplied with Windows XP? If so, where is it?

The reason I ask is that over the last couple of days I have been busy downloading various bits and bobs for a photoediting suite. The sites are mostly American and most state that Winzip "comes free with XP." Is this an American-only thing?

I'm still using a Trial version so I get that annoying menu box that asks whether I want to buy it.

mattyc_92 12:32 09 Sep 05

No it doesn't.... WinXP HAS a ZIP tool (the zip files act as a folder if WinZip isn't installed).

You can use a FREE program called "7-Zip" (click here) which does the same thing as WinZip (just it is FREE)

fazer 12:41 09 Sep 05

mattyc_92

Thank you for the quick response.

Pesala 12:50 09 Sep 05

I heartily second that advice. 7-zip is free and can produce much better compression by using the 7z format. I regularly mirror a website bulk download zip file of 11 Mbytes as a self-extracting 7zip archive. The *.exe file size is 5.74 Mbytes.

7-zip will also compress to standard zip format slightly better than other zip programs. click here

Compression ratios vary a lot. JPG files won't compress at all, while bmp, html, and text files usually compress very well. Compression is slower though, so smallest is not always best. For uploading and emailing archives for dial-up users, it is well worth the slightly slower compression.

swanson2 16:19 17 Oct 05

i am interested in this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…