winxp wireless network problem

matelot1 14:56 14 Mar 06

My WINXP Professional is up to SP2 spec. I have avg free edition virus checker and windows firewall. I am trying to connect using a pci 802.11g network card to my belkin54g modem/router.
I successfully set up the router to the ISP using my Applemac connected to the router using a LAN connection. The Applemac is working fine using the AIRPORT wireless network in the router. The problem is - yes you have guessed it, WINXP.
I have got as far a the green bars saying automatic connection, but when I press CONNECT it thinks about it and then says "UNABLE TO CONNECT TO NETWORK".
I have tried uninstalling SP2 because I have read that this is a problem. When I try to download the fix from windows I am getting a message that my op system is not a genuine copy, hardly surprising as I used an APPLEMAC to access the website!
I have now spent many hours trying to rectify this problem.
Help please!

Taff™ 09:08 15 Mar 06

What`s the fix you`re trying to get?

Danoh 10:20 15 Mar 06

You don't actually say it but I presume you also have a Windows PC running XP Pro (SP2) which is not connecting wirelessly to the router.

You should connect the XP PC to the router with an Ethernet cable and download the fix/update as its needed for the Windows XP PC rather then your Apple Mac (!).
From what you say, you are trying to update the Apple MAC with a Windows XP pro SP2 fix, which is not advisable and fortunate that the systems have not allowed it to progress.

I'm afraid that Windows wireless connections require more settings then Apple MAC's Airport (actually, pretty much all Apple MACs' connections to peripherals make Microsoft attempts look really cack-handed!! ~ only exception is Memory release/reuse a.k.a. garbage cleanout)

matelot1 14:44 15 Mar 06

The fix I was trying to get - and managed in the end turned out to be a patch for SP1 and my machine is already at SP2. Thanks to TAFF and Danoh for their comments.u i have tried pretty much everything and am going to go back to the beginning and start again. I will re-read through all the blogs on the site and see what happens. Thanks

matelot1 16:32 27 Jul 06

sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…