WinXP v Win98 performance issue

madwab 14:56 20 Jan 04

OK. I've got a Athlon 2800 cpu with 333 fsb, a Via KT600 motherboard supporting fsb up to 400, I've got dma 133 hard drives and I've got more than enough ram, clocked at 400; and a Radeon 9000 agp graphics card - the weak link, but my problem isn't 3d gaming...this system should be fairly fast for 2d work.

But under XP, when I win a game of solitaire, the animation is sloooooow. I don't remember there being a brake in it to keep the speed constant, but maybe I'm wrong. The problem isn't hardware, because under Win98 the animation completes in about a tenth of a second - faster than I can measure it. XP doesn't seem particularly slow - I can play Age of Mythology against the max. no. of opponents and it doesn't seem to mind - so my question is, why is that solitaire animation running so slowly?

T

madwab 14:59 20 Jan 04

that this is on a clean XP install, without graphics card or other drivers; and that adding in drivers makes no difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…