WinXP System Restore Failure

pepe 15:06 20 Apr 03

I am running WinXP Home. When I try to run System Restore I get the following error messages.

If I try to run through: Start\Prograns\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

"An exception occured while trying to run "Shell32.dll, control_run dll "C:\windows\system32\sysdm.cpl", system"

If I try through right click My Computer\Properties\Systen Restore Tab

"Run a dll as an app has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I have sent both error messages to MS, and searched the MS Knowledge Base, as well as Google without success. I have tried re-installing SP1, also without success.

Has anybody any ideas, Thanks in advance.

Elrond 15:18 20 Apr 03

Do a repair of winXP would be my next step

powerless 15:40 20 Apr 03

Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

Then click "ok". This is another way to launch system restore.

Failing that...

Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

Click "ok" and have your XP CD in the drive when you do this.

pepe 15:54 20 Apr 03

Have tried both, still no joy, same error message.

Yes would probably work, but a bit drastic at the moment as it means re-installing SP1, and all hotfixes from MS Windows Update again, apart from System Restore not working my computer is otherwise stable.

Any other ideas?

graham√ 16:04 20 Apr 03

Do you need SP1 and the hotfixes? Also, if your PC is stable it may be better to leave it as is, just set a restore point. But then, what do I know? I hear you cry! :-)

pepe 17:03 20 Apr 03

Can't set a restore point as I can't start System Restore, regarding the SP1 and hotfixes, probably not as I believe one of these caused the problem in the first place. Oh well...........

TOPCAT® 18:13 20 Apr 03
  Happy1 18:14 20 Apr 03

I was just reading a post from Graham which was posted at 15.21 titled Microsoft security patch. I looked on vibrantmedia site. Problems with security patch Q811493. Problems same as yours in another posting causing blank system restore points. It says delete this hotfix and all should be well. I may have to do same as I have this Hotfix. Have not yet checked in system restore, as I have just read about it. Im waffling now.Bye..

pepe 22:13 21 Apr 03

Thanks to all those that responded, and apologies for the delay in getting back. Well I tried this and I tried that, I even tried the other, sad to say not even that worked, and I am fresh back from a re-format and clean re-install, and all is well now (fingers crossed).

Thanks again to those who took the time out to respond

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…