WinXP starts, shows the strobe then black desktop

Giggle n' Bits 02:18 13 Jan 05

Here is a strange one, my machine running XP Home, when I start it goes past the XP strobe thing then settles at what may be the desktop as the cursor shows but the screen is Black and theres nothing that can be seen.

No, its not the monitor. It has built in Graphics.

Anyone know what it could be. This one has be beat.

AndySD 02:27 13 Jan 05

Try going into Safe Mode

As soon as the BIOS has finished loading (the first screen on the pc showing the Drives etc), begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter

Do you get to see the desktop?

Giggle n' Bits 02:47 13 Jan 05

and it showed a black desktop with mouse cursor again and Safe Mode in white in the corners.

Strange problem eh.

AndySD 02:56 13 Jan 05

Try starting the computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

Type in

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Hit Enter.

Hopefully it will let you use System Restore.

Giggle n' Bits 03:01 13 Jan 05

Will try that, i wasn't expecting to get any help tongiht by the regular guys like your self M8 and powered of for bed but watch if your about and I will let you know what happens.

thanks AC#.

Giggle n' Bits 02:46 14 Jan 05

I tried AndySD fix but it didn't. it wouldn't go to command prompt just to a black desktop total black.

It as if the monitor is turned off.

Tried a old HDD in and that was fine so its the Windows or HDD which is AWOL. Tried recovery console and that wanted a Password from Administrator which there isn't one.

I have found out its in FAT32 but this is ok for 20GB HDD so if windows is damaged its looking like VGA Driver or a faulty HDD.

AndySD 03:27 14 Jan 05

XP home Admin Password leave blank unless you set it in safe mode.

Do you have the xp cd or a recovery cd?

If the full cd then the quickest option is a click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:49 14 Jan 05

Black screen before welcome screen.

This sometimes happens as windows searching for drivers or start up program.

You may need to be patient. Boot the PC and leave it at the black screen for a long while 20-30 mins (go off and make a cup of tea).

Had this problem once spent hours trying to sort it by restarting but it solved itself when I left it alone. Other people have also had to do this.

If it does sort itself you will find that it will be OK next time you boot it will only take a couple of minutes.

Giggle n' Bits 13:51 14 Jan 05

yes the HDD does rattle away as if its still loading but no HDD Activity light on front of case.

The XP is a Pre-installed Time. No Restore CD just System Drivers. I have a XP CD of my own for my other machine but I don't want to install this on a second pc.

I have tried fixing Boot record etc.

Will have a look at AndySD's link and also thanks to AndySD & Fruit Bat /\0/\ for the calls.

Back later.

AndySD 20:35 14 Jan 05

If the xp cd you have is the same version as on the pc (eg both XP Home) then all you need is the XP serial number and this should be on a sticker on the pc if not then my method is useless.

Giggle n' Bits 21:29 14 Jan 05

just was worried about using my CD becuse it 1 CD to a machine business

Will try that next. Thanks again M8 AndySD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…