WINXP SP2 Slow Desktop Folders

slydog 12:52 10 Mar 06

Hi guys
Just loaded up winxp SP2 and for some reason All the folders I have placed on my desktop ie 'my documents' my computer, and a 'download' folder are really slow to open, takes a good 30+ sec or so. When I open folders further down the path, no problem, they open pretty immediatly as normal.
Any one know what might be causing this.
Cheers Slydog

remind 12:57 10 Mar 06

I seem to recall the following working for someone with a similar problem;
start menu/run, type `services.msc`, find Windows Image Acquisition, stop the service, try opening the problematic folders, if they are back to normal set the aforementioned service to Manual.

slydog 14:23 10 Mar 06

Thanks Remind I will give it a try when I get back this evening.

slydog 19:29 10 Mar 06

Oh heck that hasnt made any difference any other ideas anybody.

slydog 10:37 11 Mar 06

Here's one for the scrapbook! After reloading windows again with no effect I guessed the problem had to be one of the few applications I had instaled on the PC so I turned of the one that seemed the most obtrusive on the system 'Spyweeper 4.0'software which I was trialing from the PC Advisor cover disk. This was forever popping up and telling me applications I was installing were accessing files. So it was a good possibility that it was interfering with my folder access. I turned it off and hey presto, normal access to my folders was restored.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant