WinXP - Slow Boot Up (Big Pause)

Jester2K II 14:48 20 Nov 03

Windows XP, PIII 800, 512 RAM.

Up until recently my PC has started at a reasonable speed. I have few programs loading at start up - Cacheman, NoAds, GoBack, AVG, Sygate and Mailwasher. these used to load in a few seconds once the desktop appeared.

Now the first three icons load and then there is a 30 - 60 second pause and then the other 3 load quickly.

Nothing has changed recently other than MS Critical Updates.

Cacheman wizard has been rerun. No spyware, no viruses or unknown programs running on boot up. Fully Defragged. Also BootVis (although i know read this is withdrawn)

Is there a way of recording what goes on in the start up process?

Is it Boot Log? if i do a boot log what would i be looking for to determine the problem??

Jester2K II 14:56 20 Nov 03

Just did Boot Logging and i cn't find the BootLog file (under Win9x it was in the root directory)

Any clues??

christmascracker 14:57 20 Nov 03

Try this - the first one in the list

click here

Jester2K II 14:58 20 Nov 03

Thats the program i recommend here for use instead of MSCONFIG!!! I have and use this regularly......

Jester2K II 14:59 20 Nov 03

Sorry forgot to add - Thank you.

Taff36 15:02 20 Nov 03

You noticed too. It started after the last critical update that I loaded on Tuesday - The Windows XP splash screen and the blue horizontal bars keep going for about a minute and it can take three minutes to get there!

Like you I have several programmes that need to load after I`ve logged on, some of which are network connections but they are noticeably slower this week. I`m not sure if it is XP itself but I would certainly like to know what is going on. It is reminiscent of the old days of win95 and slow processors. I`ve started to go and make the coffee whilst I`m waiting for the log on screen and drinking half of it before I start work.

Jester2K II 15:09 20 Nov 03

I did suspect a Critical Update but this kicks in after the login phase. There are 4 users accounts on this PC. Its just whilst the desktop loads - no other phase is affected.

christmascracker 15:09 20 Nov 03

That's ok

Actually when I think about it I got it from your website in the first place!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…