WinXP set-up in Greek.

Rayspan 14:18 28 Nov 08

My sister-in-law, who has lived in Crete for many years, has given me a laptop with WinXP installed.
Unfortunately, everything is in Greek, which has its own unique, and unrecognisable alphabet!

I have tried to navigate to the language setting options & got hopelessly lost & sister in law cannot help me.

It occurs to me that there might be a command I could enter in the 'RUN' box to restore it to UK English. Can anyone help me please?

Rahere 14:26 28 Nov 08

I don't think this is possible without reinstalling using a UK English XP installation disc.

Is is a UK keyboard or Greek?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:43 28 Nov 08

Start -Run - type (if you can do it in Greek)

Intl.cpl

press ok (enter)

will take you direct to the Regional settings box

T0SH 18:47 28 Nov 08

The easiest way I have found when working on foreign language PC`s, is to set up one English language PC alongside the foreign one with monitors keyboards and mouse side by side

Generally the screen icons are in the same relative positions as are the buttons you need to press to apply and make changes

The only other problem you may have to revert to an online text translator for could be how to recognise what the English language selection looks like when written in Greek

But whatever it may just be easier to buy a set of stick on English laptop keyboard transfers and an English language XP CD

Cheers HC

Rayspan 20:17 28 Nov 08

Fruitbat - Intl.cpl worked fine. After which Tosh, I did exactly what you suggest. I waded through the options until I found the £ sign on the currency bar. This enabled me to identify what 'united kingdom'looks like in greek characters. So - set up K/B, location, and the 'language ' tab options. Got a greek 'restart' option & went for it.
NOTHING HAS CHANGED!
So - inserted my XP disc - to no avail. Disc drive is apparently defunct. Murphy's Law holds sway.
How easy, or should I say difficult, is it to replace a disc drive in an IBM Thinkpad?

Rayspan 20:20 28 Nov 08

P.S. K/B keys are standar qwerty layout, and marked in both character sets as well, so no problem there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:40 28 Nov 08

Try changing to English US

worked for me on a machine using Hebrew :0)

DieSse 21:49 28 Nov 08

You'll need to install an English version XP (and any other programs which are in Greek).

It can't simply be converted. XP versions are language specific.

DieSse 21:58 28 Nov 08

You may find, that if you borrow or already have an English version XP CD, you can install it using the Product Key for the currently installed Greek version.

I inadvertently got the Product Keys for a UK and a German version transposed. They worked fine.

However you do of course need to get the CD drive working. It's probably fairly easy to replace the drive, if there's nothing special about it. Laptop CD/DVD drives are relatively easy to obtain.

click here

T0SH 16:12 29 Nov 08

Most older IBM laptop CD/DVD drives are released by unlatching and holding a clip, usually on the underside but it can on some models like the T series,it will be found on the side right to the rear of the drive, look closely it is a very small protruding plastic pin

The hardware details and removal instruction can be had from here

click here 307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-39298

Cheers HC

T0SH 16:15 29 Nov 08

Ops try this link instead
click here [www-307_ibm_com]

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos