winXP screen frozen

denchris 16:14 07 Nov 03

Happened couple of hours ago, I`m on my grandson`s comp now.....mine booted apparently normal, then the screen froze ! I`ve tried several times to reboot but each time after a few seconds the screen freezes again... I rather fear I`ve possibly been hit by one of the dreaded lurgy... can anyone guide me out of this problem ?

OneSirKnight 16:18 07 Nov 03

can you get to safe mode?

denchris 16:22 07 Nov 03

yes,I can get to dos option page ok

OneSirKnight 16:22 07 Nov 03

To get into the XP Safe mode as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Note: With some computers if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message as the computer is booting. If this occurs instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key" tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu

OneSirKnight 16:24 07 Nov 03

ok,when in safe mode select system restore and choose a time and date before your problem.

OneSirKnight 16:29 07 Nov 03

if that dont cure it,try using your virus scan program, if you dont have one,use the house call from..click here

denchris 17:07 07 Nov 03

I can Not get into safe mode, when the problem first started I was able to run my virus checker which said " no problem " and I checked for blaster etc. all OK....but now It is only seconds and freeze ! so I can`t get into windows long enough to do anything... I have dual boot and I got into win98se, but of course I can`t see the ntfs partition so I don`t know if this can help or not!

OneSirKnight 17:31 07 Nov 03
  denchris 17:47 07 Nov 03

That`s a great link, many thanks for your help, I`ve printed out the link and now I`ve got someone to hold my hand I`ll get on with it...I will post back, hopefully on the offending m/c, meanwhile, thanks again, dennis

denchris 10:45 08 Nov 03

Thanks to OneSirKnight I am back on my m/c again, after quite a struggle...it must have been a core file corrupted . .it happens . .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…