WinXp and Scanner

mickmoran61 23:23 07 Feb 03

I recently purchased a new computer from a local merchant. It's a WindowsXP, AMD Athlon 1.53GHz, 256Mb RAM. I retained my old printer and scanner (both Hewlett-Packard, and USB connected)because I felt they were "new" enough for my new system. My printer works perfectly, but my scanner which is a ScanJet 3300C does not work on its old software. It will work on the default WinXP drivers, with limited functionality. The Hewlett-Packard website tells me that there are no new drivers for this scanner in Windows XP yet, and to keep an eye on Windows Update (Microsoft) for updates. I feel that Windows XP is around long enough for new drivers to be made available. In my case, I used to use the scanner as a copier; this is something I can no longer do.
The joys of progress!!

Any suggestions?

P.S. I was also disappointed to find that some of my older PC Win98 games do not play on WinXP

Legolas 23:39 07 Feb 03

Do you have broadband with a USB connection sometimes they conflict with scanners in XP

mickmoran61 23:51 07 Feb 03

I'm disappointed to have to say no! No broadband; it won't be available to those of us who live in rural Ireland for some time. I have two USB connectors at the back of my computer, one is for the Scanner and one for my digital camera (which my computer describes as Drive F). My HP printer is connected by the parallel port.

Thanks

fullywired23 00:06 08 Feb 03

I had a similar problem with my scanner when I changed to Xp .all the utilities worked except the copier. my scanner is a epsom perfection6400 and my printer a HP.Epson told me that it was the Hp printer that would'nt work with their scanner in XP.but they gave me a website ,where I could download a freeware copier program that would work. The website is click here
I down loaded it and it works a treat there is also a pro edition that costs £11.95 which is better still.If I were you I would try the free one ,it might do the trick for you,
viejo

mickmoran61 00:34 08 Feb 03

Thanks Viejo!

Downloaded free photocopier as you suggested. It looks good! Unfortunately, when I press the "Copy" button I get an error message like:
"Scanner does not comply with the TWAIN standard"

What does this mean?

AndyJ 11:54 08 Feb 03

I may be missing something, but there do appear to be XP downloads for the scanner you mention on the HP website. Search for Scanjet 3300 then click on support for 3300 series, then drivers and downloads.

AndyJ 11:56 08 Feb 03

Don't know if it will work but the link to my previous message is click here

mickmoran61 18:12 08 Feb 03

Andy J,

I have been on the HP site, including the page you attached. The message I got from HP was that the downloads shown were only usable if I had installed XP over Win98 on my existing PC. This is not my case. I have a new WinXP PC and want to use my old scanner. Thanks for your help!

Rayuk 18:34 08 Feb 03

Have you tried right clicking your games shortcut/properties run in compatablilty mode.

Rayuk 18:41 08 Feb 03

If you look at the bottom of the 3 downloads this is the one you want the date is 02.06.02
the previous one is from an earlier date.
Only problem is its 50Mbs[if you are Broadband not so bad]

fullywired23 00:20 09 Feb 03

Mickmoran61
Hi
I had a similar message when I first used the copier,you need twain drivers .However I e-mailed "nicocuppen"and they replied the next day with the solution.I should e-mail them .they will reply next day and they are very good at sorting the problem.In my case it was a case of first going into a program such as Paint shop and selecting the scanner from the "source" then it worked fine .I hope this makes sense because it's late Sat night and you can guess the rest (I've only had a couple honest)

Guardian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…