WinXP repair failed - kbd locked - Creative Audio

tomp7877 16:43 25 Oct 09

I'm posting this in the hope of finding out how to avoid this problem in the future.

I had a WinXP system crash, and I tried to repair it using the vendor supplied SP2 recovery disc. It went ok until a prompt turned up to mount a diskette with pfmodnt.sys and hit ok.
At this point,both the keyboard and the mouse were frozen. I couldn't get any further and finally gave up, formatted c: and reinstalled completely, to my great annoyance and frustration.
I have since found that the missing file is on the vendor supplied Gigabyte CD under Creative\Audio\drivers. However, even had I known this, the locked up keyboard would have stumped me.
If I ever need to run WinXP repair again, how can I make sure this problem doesn't happen again?

Pineman100 16:52 25 Oct 09

This is an uninformed guess, but were you using a wireless keyboard and mouse, with a transceiver that plugs into a USB port?

If so, you might have avoided the problem if you had temporarily used a PS2 keyboard and mouse during the reinstall.

tomp7877 20:22 25 Oct 09

Pineman,
almost correct, I have a USB mouse and keyboard. I did find an ancient PS/2 mouse in the back of the cupboard, and I did wonder, wouldn't it be great if I still had that PS/2 kbd that I trashed several years back.

Like I say, I would like to avoid having this problem in the future. Are you saying that every WinXP machine needs a PS/2 kbd and mouse to do system recovery?

Pineman100 11:09 26 Oct 09

I can't answer that, I'm afraid. But it does seem logical to imagine that a USB setup wouldn't work until Windows (with it's USB drivers) is loaded.

But don't take that as expert knowledge - it's an amateur guess!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…