Winxp pro sp2 doesn't appear to use all available

terryf 05:09 08 Oct 06

As an experiment I fitted 4 GB worth of memory chips
msinfo32 says Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.44 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.86 GB
System properties says Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz, 3GB of RAM. Paging file on C: is 16Mb 16Mb Fixed and on D: System managed
I have added /PAE to boot.ini file
Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-8I915-MF
Any suggestions why it doesn't see all the memory?

AndySD 06:50 08 Oct 06

Do you mean the difference betwen the fitted memory and the amount available, if so the chances are this has been reserved by Windows for its own use.

gudgulf 10:57 08 Oct 06

Lots of information here click here

The problem stems from the fact that 32Bit Windows can only access 4GB of TOTAL memory...that's the RAM plus the Page File.

You could try disabling or setting the Page File to a very low value...say 100MB (to allow for a small memory dump in case of system failure)click here

terryf 15:31 08 Oct 06

gudgulf
I have set my page file to 2mb 2mb and none on D:.
msinfo32 still says same as above except Page File Space 5.84 GB
I have looked around the web and it seems as that opinions vary, it may be that the RAM is being used but winxp is not admitting it. Why do mobos allow up to 4MB RAM, maybe that was my mistake, I should not have RTFM for my mobo. Vista perhaps?
Will close thread unless anyone comes up with other ideas, after all, this is not really life-threatening

brundle 15:36 08 Oct 06

It has been a question on this forum before - lots of hardware addresses are used for the top 3 to 4gb address space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…