WinXP Password dialogue box not responding?

asw 20:59 16 Feb 06

Hi I hope somone can help? My WinXP service pack 2 machine made an auto update of windows via the MS website. Now the password dialogue box for my account will not accept any text input? My wife's account which is not password protected boots normally by clicking her ID icon? How do I get back into my account?

James-286079 21:03 16 Feb 06

Boot the computer into safe mode (Keep pressing F8 while booting), then use System Restore to restore the system back to when it used to work correctly.

James

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:01 16 Feb 06

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

asw 22:48 16 Feb 06

Thanks all. Problem solved - embarressingly it turns out my wireless keyboard batteries went flat just as I'd installed a new adsl router and winXP updated the system. The mouse batteries were fine which allowed me to click the icon etc etc... So look out for coincidences - dooh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…