WinXP msconfig problem

corc2 13:47 17 Apr 04

A mate of mine has tinkered with msconfig to disable some start up items. When he re-booted, XP won't boot up either from HDD or CD-ROM. It seems to stop when it reaches a driver named mut.sys. Does anyone know how to either re-install msconfig or any ideas how to get computer working at all. Someone has mentioned using a win98 startup disc but don't know exactly if it can be used. Any help greatly appreciated.

daxian 13:53 17 Apr 04

hi corc 2....
when starting the computer ,tap the f8 key and choose last know good configuration .
if that dont work go into safe mode and undo the changes made to startup then reboot....

daxian 13:53 17 Apr 04

hi corc 2....
when starting the computer ,tap the f8 key and choose last know good configuration .
if that dont work go into safe mode and undo the changes made to startup then reboot....

daxian 13:55 17 Apr 04

sorry for the double post ...took a while to register and thought i had missed the button

corc2 14:05 17 Apr 04

Thanks daxian,
Unfortunately he's tried that and it still hangs. By the way the file is mup.sys - i misheard him on the phone. A check on tinternet seems to point towards networking/usb connections. It seems when he chooses safe mode it still hangs at same point. Would step by step mode work do you think?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac