winxp logon followed by immediate logoff

boomtom 18:19 17 Mar 04

at the welcome screen of windows xp when i log on as a user. windows reports restoring my settings,immediatly followed by saving my settings and logging off.
any ideas

?

GrahamP 19:46 17 Mar 04

Not really but some things you could try to start off with.

Start in safe mode. (Press F8 during startup and select safe mode from the menu) Does the same thing happen? If it starts ok in safe mode, check your startup folder (right click start button, open, double click programs, double click startup). Move things out of there one at a time to see which if any is causing the problem.

Secondly while in start mode, use msconfig (start, run, enter msconfig, ok, startup tab) to see what else is running at start up. Again untick them one at a time and see if anything here is causing it.

Thirdly while in safe mode, run your virus checker and adaware and spybot if you have them.
Is your virus checker up-to-date? If not make it so and then run it.

Another thing you can do at the welcome screen is press ctl-alt-dlet twice. This brings up the old W2000 logon and you should be able to logon as Administrator without a password. (This assumes you're running XP home and didn't explicitly set an administrator password). If you can logon as Administrator you can delete the id you are having trouble with (start, control panel, user accounts, select user id and delete, remember to accept the option to save files) and then create another one.

If none of this helps, sorry, you may have to re-install, unless someone else has an idea.

hugh-265156 19:55 17 Mar 04

any errors displayed etc?

click here

boomtom 20:01 17 Mar 04

thanks for your response.
the main problem is that i cannot access windows at all even in safe mode, therefore i am unable to check anything! i am using win xp pro.
i've tried virus checkers but nothing untoward has shown up.

hugh-265156 20:09 17 Mar 04

if you cannot even get into safe mode then its click here im afraid.

hugh-265156 20:10 17 Mar 04

ps.how did you run an antivirus if you cannot start even in safe mode?

boomtom 20:59 17 Mar 04

i loaded a fresh copy of windows to another partition to run virus scans etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…