WinXP Licencing Help please

Giggle n' Bits 09:50 11 Oct 04

Ok, back in July my friends Packard Bell HDD failed. So I fitted a new HDD and new XP Home OEM.

Last week the Motherboard, AGP Card & Memory all got damaged cause by some electrical damage to machine.

So I have rebuilt a new computer with his original HDD but re-installed clean his XP Home OEM.

On product activation online the process will not go through. I am unable ot Activate his XP Home OEM on his new machine using his older HDD.

Is it right I would need to purchase & instal a new XP Home (He pays) or should I be able to reinstall his XP.

spuds 09:56 11 Oct 04

I think that it will be a case of contacting Microsoft, and they will issue a new activation code.

VoG II 10:01 11 Oct 04

Yep, give them a call 0870 60 10 100

Giggle n' Bits 10:54 11 Oct 04

Apparently the Windows XP Home when sending activation it sends the Seriel No of the Motherboard. As the machine was built around a new Motherboard it will not activate and a new licence has to be purchased.

spuds 22:30 11 Oct 04

click here and look about two thirds down under headings 'Can Hardware Components Be Changed and Upgraded' plus ' How Does Product Activation Determine Tolerance'.

If I read correct, then it is possible to re-activate XP and if there are problems, Microsoft suggest that you telephone a Microsoft customer service representative for re-activation.This would strongly suggest that no new licence or product is required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…