WinXP Home Shutdown problem HELP

Killo Bite 00:46 15 Feb 07

Since building my machine with a Intel P4 3GHz Prescott, 1GB Kingston PC3200 DDR matched, FX5200 Nvidia AGP & SATA HDD, DVD wtr, DVD, FDD
when shutting down it hangs just after saying saving settings. It seems more or a problem if shutting down while still connected to Wanadoo/Orange Broadband using a SpeedTouch 330 USB Modem.

Have updated SpeedTouch 330 USB driver for speeds upto 8MB (usually get 4.8kbps - 5.5kbps)
don't know where to look to start sorting this problem out I have read things like a damaged audio WAV file but thats fine music is ok, has or can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot a XP shutdown problem please. Rippin my hair out.

brundle 01:10 15 Feb 07

Check your device manager and BIOS, ensure power management is set to ACPI. You'll find it under System Devices in device manager.

brundle 01:11 15 Feb 07

Also, take a look at your event log. Start menu/run, type eventvwr.msc, press return.

Rossi#1 09:30 15 Feb 07

I had the same problem with a Speedtouch modem. I put it down to it being a USB connection like it was trying to keep the PC running.
I bought a router connected through the ethernet plug and no problem since.

Killo Bite 10:14 15 Feb 07

S1, S3 or Auto. It was set to Auto so changed it to S1 and didn't make a change would S3 make a difference ? you go onto say event log what should i look for in the log.

Thanks also brundle & Rossi#1

Killo Bite 10:15 15 Feb 07

a few Win32 events and Dhcp but not a lot of them.

Killo Bite 19:19 15 Feb 07

or the Thomson SpeedTouch USB B/Band modem (Black model)

Does anyone have the same combinations F-Secure Internet Security 2007 OEM and Broadband using Thompson SpeedTouch 330 (Black model) when shutting down windows hangs at saving settings.

Parbuster 10:19 15 May 07

When I shut down it goes so far then returns to the desktop I go through the routine of shuttimg down again and everything goes according to plan.This has only happened off late and I have removed temp files run scans with NAV,Ad Aware,Spybot,Super Anti spyware found Trojan Media Codec and Trojan Hoster both of which it removed,even after this I had the same problem with shutting down.What is the cause please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…