WINXP home -OEM or full ?

canard 22:23 29 Dec 05

Having to face up to updating WIN98Se to XP
click here Is this a good offer and is it what I need? How to install XP on a WIN98 SE OS- guidance please.

woodchip 22:27 29 Dec 05

Only difference is with OEM you get no MS support

Totally-braindead 22:33 29 Dec 05

Win XP is great, I like it better than my Win 98SE but there are two things you should be aware of, its a resource hog compared to 98 so be sure your PC can run it, a friend of mine just installed it on his Celeron 600, it runs but compared to when it was running 98 it crawls and he doesn't like it and is going back to 98 after the New Year. The other thing is make sure there are drivers for your peripherals, if you have an old scanner or printer check there is an XP driver for it or you may have to buy a new one.

canard 22:38 29 Dec 05

Thanks woodchhip and Totally-braindead. Memory and peripherals Ok.Is no MS support no updates or no help? Big question is proceedure to change OS.

woodchip 22:44 29 Dec 05

Yes you can get updates with a OEM CD but no phone support. XP uses a hell of a lot of disc space. and as above your hardware or some of your software may not work with XP. I still use 98se on my home built Comp and if it was not for USB2 on XP, I would change my other XP comps to 98se it a lot easier to fix when it goes wrong

Strawballs 22:48 29 Dec 05

You can still get all the windows updates no support means that no technical support they say that you get it from manufacture of computer. Will suggest that you backup everthing that you want to keep and do a clean install it will get rid of any bugs or junk built up on hard drive and run a lot better.

Go into bios set to boot from cd rom put XP Disc in machine and reboot and follow instructions.

The other thing with OEM you can't move it from machine to machine it is only meant for the machine that it first installed on, whereas full retail can be moved from one to another as long as it is removed from the last one.

woodchip 22:54 29 Dec 05

When you have a full XP OEM disc it will let you use on another computer. It's only those with Restore disc and OEM that cannot do it

canard 22:59 29 Dec 05

Thankyou all for the good advice. Have PC fit for XP- chose to reuse 98SE [which I like] from defunct PC. But now more and more apps and gizmos need higher OS- maddening.

Strawballs 23:07 29 Dec 05
  woodchip 23:11 29 Dec 05

Yes it say's what I said above if you get a disc then you can use it on another computer if you remove it from the old one first. But if your OEM is on the Hard Drive or contained within a restore disc you cannot use it on another computer. But as He is buying a OEM disc this does not apply

Strawballs 23:55 29 Dec 05

Retail License:
click here

Excerpt:
4. TRANSFER-Internal. You may move the Product to a different Workstation Computer.

OEM License:
click here

Excerpt:
Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED, TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…