WinXP Home - first time user

TOPCAT® 15:51 29 Oct 05

Just a general enquiry but as a soon to be user of XP can anyone please give me any useful tips on what to do and what not to do from an initial startup of this OS. I'd like to keep these for guidance until in due course I find my way around its hidden mysteries.

I made some catastrophic errors initially with WinMe and the learning curve was somewhat painful! Many thanks for anything you can suggest that would be useful to know about. TC.

VoG II 15:57 29 Oct 05

click here should be useful TC.

ACOLYTE 15:57 29 Oct 05

First thin i would say is set the desktop up as there is only the recycle bin on there when it first starts,to show the rest right click the desktop select properties select the desktop tab and then customize desktop and tick the relavent boxes,you can also add things that you may find usefull to the start menu,right click the task bar select properties, start menu tab customized then advanced there is a lot of options there and most are helpfull.

VoG II 15:59 29 Oct 05

Oh, and click here and click here

Chegs ® 16:03 29 Oct 05
  TOPCAT® 18:11 29 Oct 05

That lot takes care of my Sunday reading!! :o)) TC.

961 18:47 29 Oct 05

You don't say if you are upgrading from Me

If you are, ensure you have allowed the xp disk to examine your system to advise which hardware needs new drivers and which programmes will no longer work. Download the drivers before upgrade

Then spring clean your system, remove redundant programmes and defrag

VoG II 18:52 29 Oct 05

Ah, if it is an upgrade you ought to run click here first.

Forum Editor 18:53 29 Oct 05

next week TC, and that has set you back a few quid, but if there's a chance that the budget will stretch to it I recommend that you install WinXP Professional edition.

woodchip 18:55 29 Oct 05

Use It Like I Do. Set it in something you Know, Classic mode

TOPCAT® 19:55 29 Oct 05

Unfortunately my guy has installed the Home OEM version. He says it is the full CD but went on to add that he is now forced to install on all new PCs. If you think it is a better choice then maybe I can upgrade to Pro later? If that will not complicate activation or registration of course.

This will not be an upgrade from Me. I've suffered enough with its tantrums! :o)) TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…