WinXP Help & support Indexing not working.

Giggle n' Bits 20:57 04 Feb 04

Please see my first post on this subject about the Indexing at click here

Ok, the problem: I go into the WinXP Help & Support click on the Indexing button on bar at top and a window opens with a Blank pane in. According to M8 Chegs in my other post this is as it say is suppose to show a list of Help & Support topics but I get a blank pane with a little jpeg which looks like a webpage with a placeholder fault on the pictures.

Anyone know how to repiar or what is wrong please.

VoG II 21:06 04 Feb 04

Open Notepad and paste in the following as far as but not including ====================================:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\"

====================================

Save the file to the desktop. Double click it and click Yes/OK when prompted if you want to modify the registry.

VoG II 21:11 04 Feb 04

Sorry, should have said save the file as HELP.REG

Chegs ® 21:12 04 Feb 04

The above will just create a Notepad doc with a .txt extension,what will he need to put for a reg entry(as I think thats what your after creating)

Giggle n' Bits 21:15 04 Feb 04

you ok on this.

I Open Notepad (which I take a fresh new page) in WinXP.

Then I paste all these command strings I take it not with the jazzy > "= =" symbols ?

But I do not understand the bit you say "as far as but not including " ?

then save the file to the desktop etc which I do understand. Just the above I am a bit lost on please.

VoG II 21:17 04 Feb 04

Copy everything from

REGEDIT4

down to

00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR] @="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\HelpCtr.exe\\"

Chegs ® 21:24 04 Feb 04

click here

Or just simply download this one and then double click it,etc.

Giggle n' Bits 21:55 04 Feb 04

So I got this downloaded and its then I get the commands into a Notepad format and save as HELP.REG

then rebbot machine and its fixed ? If wrong, please advise.

VoG II 21:57 04 Feb 04

Double click the HELP.REG file.

Say Yes to merging with the registry.

Reboot for good luck.

Fingers crossed.

Chegs ® 23:15 04 Feb 04

How did you get on please?

Giggle n' Bits 00:12 10 Feb 04

Ok, Ihave tried the above and the File once saved and theat changes to a Reg editor file icon (bit like the rubic cube look)

It didn't work. But I still don't give in as I have tried and tried to narrow the source of the problem down to what is causing it.

I have just finished install of XP Home not installed no drivers yet I need for APG Card, Modem, Power DVD nor Nero and the index in Help & support works.

I have found that After Installing the XP updates from Windows Updates, then the above drivers and software just Power DVD for v.xp and Nero 5.5.9.10.28 the indexing help list goes.

So now I am just going to install the Modem, and all the updates from MS first then try again.

So I won't be around for a hour or two. Then I will install the AGP card, and try and call back asap as its buggin me.

Also thanks again to Chegs & VoG !

Erhh can anyone who reads this with XP home and Nero 5.5 & Power DVD v4+ try there index in the Help & support and report you find.

Surely someone else has the same problem, am I unique ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…