winXP drive privacy

pete-290318 23:04 22 Dec 04

I'm new to windows XP and have set myself as administrator and given restricted accounts to my children.

I have a second hard drive on which I store anything that is important to me or useful downloads that I wish to keep.

Is there anyway of making this second drive private to me so that when they are on their accounts they cannot access it coz at the moment it shows in their "my computer" and they can access all files.

cheers pete

chaztait 23:27 22 Dec 04

well i am not to sure about that but if you want you could right click the files and click Hidden then when you go to this drive they will not see them but if you go onto the hard drive and click tools at the top and then folder options then a window will come up click on view and then show hidden folders and files and you will then be able to view them, and then when you are finished repeat the steps above but changing the setting back to "do not show hidden folders and files"

oscar cat 01:31 23 Dec 04

What you need to do is download Microsoft powertoys for XP from Microsoft, which includes TweakUI - install then change their accounts to administators, logon as them while you run the program and go to the section "my computer/drives and untick the drive you want to hide" then logoff from that account then when you logon you can change their accounts back to "limited accounts". Not a very elegant solution but it works.

Dorsai 05:15 23 Dec 04

The TweekUI method will hide the drive from sight, but any shortcuts to files/folders on the drive will still work, as all the drive is only 'hidden' but windows knows it is there.

File and Folder Protector, click here Will hide the drive/folder from XP. It also lets you password protect files, folders, etc. Any shortcuts to the protected files/folders will also be protected. A shortcut to a hidden file will report 'file not found'. It's shareware, so you can give it a try before you buy.

pete-290318 07:39 23 Dec 04

thanks guys

I'll have a play with that tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…