WinXP Display Issues

Funktion 00:08 05 Oct 06

I have recently been attempting an installation of Windows XP Pro onto my sister's machine. The initial installation kept freezing up, and after much frustration I decided to 'upgrade' her PC with some of my spares to see if that helped (I say upgrade - you may well laugh when you see the new specs!).

I managed to get the installation completed, and the PC was running fine when I had it plugged in at my house. However, when I took it round to hers to get it up and running there (i.e. internet configuration, etc), all hell broke loose! I had changed nothing since it had been round at mine, but Windows refuses to boot normally. If I select last known good configuration then it will boot to XP but with a display of only 640 x 480 running with a 4 Bit pallette! Any changes in either of these cause it to drop out into a black screen, and if I reboot then the Win XP logo will come up (loading) before dropping out to a pure white screen when the logon screen normally appears.

In my eyes this appears to be a display issue (Sherlock Holmes skills or what?!), so I have taken the usual initial steps of updating drivers, reseating the AGP card and suchlike, but I am stumped now. Whenever the problem starts again, then I can always manage to get an ugly reboot in either Safe Mode or last known good configuration. This is starting to annoy me now, as I know the system was working a couple of days ago when I first put it together. It is back round at my place now and I'm still having the same problems.

Anybody got any ideas? All suggestions will be gratefully accepted! System information as follows:

Motherboard: Matsonic MS8308E
Processor: AMD Duron 1.1GHz
Graphics Card: 16MB Voodoo Banshee (remember those??)
Monitor: Dell E770p
Memory: 256MB PC133 SDRAM

brundle 00:13 05 Oct 06

VGA compatibility list for MS8308EP (266) * Model Chipset * * Memory * * Manufacture * RIVA TNT2 32M ASUS AGP-V3800 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Vanta 32M Top solution Matrox Millennium G400 32M Matrox GeForce 2 GTS 32M Winfast GeForce 2 GTS DDR 32M MSI MS-8815 GeForce 2 GTS DDR PRO 64M ELSA GLADIAC GeForce 2 GTS DDR PRO 64M GIGABYTE GV-GF2010 GeForce 2 MX 32M ASUS AGP-V7100 GeForce3 DDR 64M ELSA GLADIAC 920

brundle 00:15 05 Oct 06

Sorry, EP version.
Does the board have built in VGA and if so does it work better with that than the Voodoo card?

Funktion 00:26 05 Oct 06

Oh god - how have I not noticed that?!? Taken the Banshee out (I always hated that damn card even when I was using it myself) and now using the onboard VGA with a resulting crystal clear display! Running at 1024 x 768 at 32 Bit. Boy, do I feel 'special' now...

Thanks a whole lot! I'll be back soon with more issues I'm having with my girlfriend's machine...

Cheers again, Brundle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…