winXP - creating an extra partition

sebiven 13:56 01 Oct 08

My laptop has a 60gig hard drive partitioned into two with windows on one and the rest on the other.

I would like to create another partition of about 10gig as a home for my work files to be kept separate.

In words of two syllables or less can someone talk me through it or alternatively point me to a good "how to"?

Thanks.

mgmcc 14:11 01 Oct 08

To create a new partition without the loss of existing data will require the use of third-party software such as "Partition Magic" or "Acronis Disk Director".

The alternative is to completely repartition the hard disk with the structure you want and then reinstall everything, including the operating system. All data will be lost by doing this.

sebiven 14:53 01 Oct 08

As I feared , another piece of [expensive] software!

I did a google and kept coming up with same answer as yours but I thought that there may be an easier way.

Thanks mgmcc

JYPX 15:03 01 Oct 08

sebiven - It is just possible that a fully functional trial of one (or both) of these programmes can be downloaded.

bjh 15:06 01 Oct 08

Years since I used it, since I've got full versions of Paragon and Acronis now, but I used to use Ranish Partition Manager, and it was good

Linkie
click here

I can't say what it is like now, but it certainly was good.

bjh 15:10 01 Oct 08

Just looked at the link: it's still the old version, so it should work fine. There may be better alternatives.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager appears on magazines on a regular basis: it was on one of the Dennis Mags in June or July, as I bought the mag to have a more recent copy than the one I'd bought. Have a look in W H Smith and see what's on the covermounts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…