WinXP Crashes

steve12345 02:23 07 Jul 04

My WinXP Home has crashed several times while playing a 3D online game.

The last time I got a message that Windows has stopped working to prevent possible damage to my Computer.

Possible Problem File: dxg.sys
and some memory location (I assume) numbers.

When I rebooted, Windows report a seriouse(spelling?) error has occurred.

Error signature:

BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : E316CCF4 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BFF82A8B
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

Anyone got this before and any idea what this file is for?

dxg.sys seems to reside in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\SP1.CAB

hugh-265156 02:47 07 Jul 04

what game are you having problems with? i gather by the info above you have xp?

most browser games use java click here to get the latest version.

by the looks of it you have service pack1 installed but click here anyway and install any updates listed.

update your graphics card drivers click here or click here maybe and update them. update your sound card drivers from the manufacturers websites to the latest dx9 versions and your motherboard chipset drivers too.

click: start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings and untick 'automatically restart' you should get get a more useful error displayed next time it crashes. post it here or look it up in the search(KB) box click here

if its a cdrom game and not web based insure you have it patched to the latest version and if its a recent game install direct x9 as most new games require this along with direct x9 compatable drivers above click here

helmetshine 05:25 07 Jul 04

It seems to be a DirectX graphics could try reinstalling DirectX.....alternatively click here then click on Sys Files either on the menu on the left or along the'll get a sys files menu on the right...go to sys files D01....fourth from the bottom is dxg.sys and you can d/load it from there

steve12345 15:56 07 Jul 04

Thanks for replies.

It's an MMORPG Game and it only sometimes crashes the computer, sometimes after 10-20mins or after a 1-2 hours.

I've already unticked the 'automatic restart', That's probably why I got the messages.

I'll give that a check. Thanks.

After this, something was trying to highjack my IE Homepage. I have a firewall and virus checker installed. I scanned with AdAware and removed the offending entries but it kept happenning. I then did a scan with the online virus checker (Panda something) and it found and removed a couple of items and it seems to be gone now.

Would a trojan/virus program cause this kind of effect?

helmetshine 09:50 11 Jul 04

I doubt very much a trojan or virus would cause this...a hijacker would affect IE or whatever browser you are games don't use this they wouldn't be affected.I should imagine a virus,if it was causing the crash,would crash the PC whatever you are doing not just in a game

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…