WinXP boot up error:- NTLDR is missing >

Giggle n' Bits 20:38 08 Aug 03

> press any key to restart.

I repaired WinXP again because it wouldn't boot by using chkdsk /p fix boot etc & also tried with r switch.

But no success, as I now get the NTLDR is missing.
Had a look at MS Kb and only can relate to a dual boot.

Does anyone know if this or how to sort this out please ?. Or Would a FDISK, Format and reinstall be the way to go ?.

Valvegrid 20:47 08 Aug 03

Have you been using a floppy in the A drive and forgotten to remove it? That error usually relates to trying to boot a non system disk.

Giggle n' Bits 21:18 08 Aug 03

will leave post open for the rest of the night.

tony1160 23:42 08 Aug 03

what does it say ref: duel boot and are you still duel booting?

tony1160 23:45 08 Aug 03

DONT format not that hard to fix

Giggle n' Bits 23:51 08 Aug 03

just repeating what I read at the Microsoft site.

So how do I fix this, Please.

tony1160 00:13 09 Aug 03

ok, copy your boot.ini ,and place on here please,

Kudu 00:20 09 Aug 03

click here May help.

Giggle n' Bits 00:31 09 Aug 03

Tony1160 don't know how to copy the boot.ini across.

Kudo will try the instruction from the link you posted !.

temp003 01:43 09 Aug 03

Don't use the sys c: command unless you want to put 98 back on your computer.

temp003 04:36 09 Aug 03

Sometimes one gets the error message "ntldr is missing" because the boot path in the boot.ini file has somehow got wrong.

You need 3 files on your C drive to boot into XP: ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini. The first 2 files can be copied from the i386 folder on your XP CD, but boot.ini is created by XP Setup.

Try this. Boot up your computer using the XP CD. At the first welcome screen, press R to go into Recovery Console. Xp will then scan your computer for any XP installation and list them out. If you have only one XP copy, just press 1 and press Enter. Enter your administrator password. You'll get to the C:\WINDOWS> prompt.

At the prompt, type map and press Enter. This will show the drive letters on your computer. Note the drive letter for your CDROM.

At the prompt, type:

copy x:\i386\ntldr c:
and press Enter, where x is the drive letter of your CDROM (probably d). If you are asked whether to overwrite the file, it means you already have it and it's not missing, but say yes anyway, so press y and Enter.

At the prompt, type:

copy x:\i386\ntdetect.com c:
and press Enter. Say yes again if prompted.

Then to re-create the boot.ini file, at the C:\WINDOWS> prompt again, type:

bootcfg /rebuild

and press Enter.

Recovery Console will then scan your computer for XP installations, and prompt you to provide further details.

When asked whether to add an XP installation to the boot list, say yes.

When asked to enter Load Identifier, just type:

Windows XP Home

and press Enter (or Professional, as the case may be).

When asked to enter the Operating System Load Option, type

/fastdetect

and press Enter.

When this is all done, back at the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type exit and press Enter. Computer will restart. Remove XP CD, and see if it can boot into XP.

Note that if you have used the sys c: command after booting up from a DOS or 98 boot floppy, you need to take an extra step in XP Recovery Console. This is because the sys C: command would have copied the DOS or 98 boot files to your C drive and changed the boot sector to a DOS or 98 bootsector. Your computer would not be looking for the XP boot files even if they were all there.

So if you did use the sys c: command, in Recovery Console, before your type exit, do the following. At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type:

fixboot c:

and press Enter. Confirm what you want to do. Then exit Recovery Console to reboot.

Hope it works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…