WinXP Bluescreen

ulrich 12:14 23 Jan 05

System WinXP SP1, 512mb mem, AMD2200 CPU,L/Tek FT5900XT G/Card. Keep getting a blue screen(not always)when playing Pacific Fighters, Call of Duty and my sons SIM2. I have the latest dvrs and only have this problem playing games, unfortunately according to Msoft it basically could be anything, but I'm thinking as there are a lot of processes running it could be a shortage of memory, any ideas please. Its not overheating at present CPU 42 and Mb 22.

Totally-braindead 12:33 23 Jan 05

As you say it could be a lot of things but since your problem only appears when you play games I would be inclined to reinstall DirectX and either reinstall your graphics drivers or install newer ones(presuming there are newer ones than you already have).

ulrich 14:06 23 Jan 05

Thanks TB I've tried that.

ACOLYTE 14:09 23 Jan 05

Is there an error when the blue screen comes? or just crash to desktop.

buscrew 14:20 23 Jan 05

I had a similar problem when I set my BIOS options to "Load High Performance", it went away when I set it back to "Load Optimised Defaults". Perhaps a check on your BIOS settings may help.

ulrich 16:51 23 Jan 05

It does give some numbers etc but when it is sent to M/Soft, they say it is a software, hardware or a problem with the memory, I only have 350mb of ram left for these games. I have played a bit this afternoon without a problem.

RJay 17:29 23 Jan 05

What firewall have you got running

I have had a similar problem recently, particularly when using IE6 browsing ebay pages,the two things I had changed were adding an extra 512mb memory stick and changed the firewall to Kerio from Sygate as I was having problems installing Sygate.

I tried a couple of memory test programs but didn't find any errors, so I removed the Kerio firewall and installed Zone Alarm and have had no problems since

ulrich 18:29 24 Jan 05

I do use Zone alarm but I turn that and Norton off, it doesn't happen anyother time than playing games.

ACOLYTE 18:31 24 Jan 05

Are you using Nortan firewall as well as ZA? if so that might be the problem,try uninstalling one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…