WintoolsA.exe

lahorie 09:50 26 May 04

Hi

I have recently noticed the above running as a service. I don't remember installing it so am a bit concerned. There are 3 other versions of this all starting with wintools.

Is this a microsoft program - I think it works with IE.

I have run 3 virus scanning programs, all have turned out OK apart from AVG which consistently finds the startpage virus even though it has been healed. Other virus scanners used are Mcafee free scan and trend micro scan.

Thanks

Lahorie

lahorie 09:50 26 May 04

Sorry for posting twice - my mistake

expertec 09:53 26 May 04

Wintools is bad

Lozzy 09:59 26 May 04

Not sure what version of Windows you are running (Win98, ME, 2K, XP) but this should be close to the same for all.

Type CTRL-ALT-DEL and end task on WToolsA.exe, WToolsS.exe and WSup.exe (they all might NOT be present).

Then go to Add / Remove programs and look for WinTools (might have a slightly different name) and highlight it and select remove.

Then delete the C:\Program Files\Common files\WinTools ... folder.

Then click Start, Run and type regedit (for Registry Editor). You will go to Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion and then check all the Run, RunOnce, RunEx, etc. for any references to WinTools. Delete them by highlighting the entry on the right, then right-click and select delete. Then go to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion and repeat the steps above.

It may be necessary to do some or all of this from within Safe Mode.

Also, take a look at getting AdAware and/or SpyBot and removing any spyware from your PC.

expertec 09:59 26 May 04

download a program called Hijackthis click here

Create a permanent folder for it (eg, C:\Program Files\HijackThis) and extract it from the zip into the folder. It's important that you don't run it from a temp folder as it would not be able to create backups.

Run the program "hijackthis.exe" click scan, when the scan button changes into a "save log" button, save the log and copy and paste the entire contents of the log into a post here (you may have to split it up if it won't all fit into one post)

lahorie 10:25 26 May 04

Thanks All

I have ad-aware, spywareblaster and spybot search and destroy installed and running.

it finds 3/4 files but does not name them, say possible hijack attempt.

I'm runnig win 2k pro with 1gb ram.

What is this exactly and how did it get on my pc and finally, how can i stop it from re-occuring.

Thanks all

Lahorie

lahorie 10:27 26 May 04

Will do expertec

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant