WinStat.exe

The Teacher 19:41 06 Feb 05

On my desktop this evening the above named folder has appeared.

I have no idea what it is, I have done a search on Yahoo! and found that there is a WinStat for Excel and a WinStat that is also a trojan.

I have tried to delete it but cannot, getting the message that I cannot delete the file as I do not have permission to access it.

properties gives me no information other than where it is stored, in Documents and Settings, and that it is an archive file. I have tried to delete it with the delete function in Windows, and with Norton. A virus scan of the folder indicates no virus but I am wary of items appearing that I know nothing about. I have also ran Spybot and AdAware and they indicate nothing is wrong. It is indicated that it was created at 11.53am today, however, the PC was not switched on at that time, and my PC is functioning perfectly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The Teacher

stalion 19:45 06 Feb 05

independant scan click here

stalion 19:48 06 Feb 05

if your pc comes up clean after the scan VoG™ is the one for excel on here

stalion 20:18 06 Feb 05

have done further cheching and this comes up as spyware click here

The Teacher 20:58 06 Feb 05

Ta for the links. Spybot, on my system and updated, doesn't show it, and I have downloaded a programme call A-Squared which specifically mentions WinStat.

I have run A-Squared and deleted what it indicated where malware files, but I still have the icon on my desktop and still get the message that I cannot remove it as I do not have access to it.

The Teacher

VoG II 21:02 06 Feb 05

Try removing it in Safe Mode click here and/or using Remove on Reboot click here

stalion 21:02 06 Feb 05

try removing it in safe mode

stalion 21:03 06 Feb 05

snap!

The Teacher 21:49 06 Feb 05

Ta. Worked a treat.

The Teacher

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…