winsock file

wotbus@ 21:42 04 Aug 05

I have read on another site forum, with regard to the installation of a D-Link PCI Wireless Adapter card, that the software corrupted the Windows winsock file and it had to be replaced.
Q. How do I know if my own winsock.dll is or isnt working correctly?
I am not getting any error messages to that effect but I understand this file is relative to net connections and perhaps it could be the problem I am experiencing getting my own wireless internet connection up and running!
[see my previous threads on WiFi problems]

LastChip 17:58 05 Aug 05

click here for a utility that may fix a Winsock problem. I haven't used it personally, so cannot vouch for its effectiveness.

wotbus@ 18:03 05 Aug 05

Hi there LastChip. Much obliged for the link. I have downloaded the fix and will run it in a few moments. Thanks for the help - getting more gloomy by the minute here :-(

wotbus@ 18:17 05 Aug 05

Ah well - it was worth a try. I was hoping it would cure my wifi problems but loots like it's still down until Monday at least. Thanks for trying to help - have a good weekend.

LastChip 18:28 05 Aug 05

Have you managed to invoke the encryption on your card yet? (ref. previous post). Remember, if your router insists on an encrypted signal, your card MUST be able to accept it.

wotbus@ 18:59 05 Aug 05

Yup - first thing this morning it accepted it just as it should. I now have both ends secure - green lights at both ends but still the adapter refuses to find the router :-(
I am going to take a w/e away from the thing but not sure what I will do Monday [hammer/bomb/swear springs to min LOL].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…