Winsoc error

Melanie 10:03 11 Dec 03

Can anyone tell me what a winsoc error is? A friend of mine can no longer access his e-mails - he is still using a modem and when he tried to dial into the net to acces his emails he had a CID Exec dial a task then winsoc error.

someone has suggested this may be a virus, just wondered if anyone has any thoughts/ideas.

Would appreciate any help!
Melanie

Jester2K II 10:15 11 Dec 03

Depends on what the EXACT message is!

Gongoozler 10:17 11 Dec 03

Do you mean Winsock error? There are several types of Winsock (Windows Socket) errors, they are listed here click here

Jester2K II 13:34 12 Dec 03

Hello anyone that can help. I did put this problem in yesterday and now have more details as requested. A friend of mine can't access the internet the following error has occured
CID box appears with options to close or ignore - it doesn't let you ignore so you have to close. Once this is done it says the usual spill about an illegal operation has taken place. Once that has gone it says execdialertask with a big X and ok. when you close this is says winsock error the sub system has failed. There is also a picture of a phone with lightning above it in the CID box! The phone line works perfectly when on the phone.

Anybody got any ideas? Would really appreciate your help. Thanks Melanie

Stuartli 14:16 12 Dec 03

CID refers to Caller Identification - some ISPs use the CID to identify that the phone being using to connect is the correct one.

If your ISP dialup number has 1470 in front (you may also have to add one or two commas before the actual ISP phone number, then it is using CID.

It's a variation on the 1471 number you ring to find out who's been calling you on your phone.

Have a look at these links to see if any help:

click here=

Stuartli 14:21 12 Dec 03

Should really have said that 1470 is connected with Caller Line Identification CLI), but the facts remain the same with regard to your ISP or anyone else using the system.

It's also used if you are ex-directory or withhold your mobile or phone number identity - prefix the number you are ringing with 1470.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…