WinPcap 3.0 Alpha 4. What is it ?

rawprawn 15:40 04 Jun 03

While looking through my add & remove prorams I found this. I can't find out what it does. I did a search on Google & all I can see is it is some kind of network sniffer. Is it Spyware, nether Spybot nor Adware are showing any problems, but I don't remember loadong it.

rawprawn 10:06 05 Jun 03

Surely someone out there knows something about this.

DieSse 10:25 05 Jun 03

You put ... WinPcap ... into a Google searchn and you find out about it!

The Alpha probably means it's a very early test release, as it's at Beta now.

DieSse 10:28 05 Jun 03

PS - should have added "what else is there to know?"

DieSse 10:34 05 Jun 03

Sorry - I went off a bit there. It's a network analysis tool - either you or a program you've laoded has installed it.

Are you talking between any two systems - or a WinCE device, for example? Have you loaded any add-on software for the networking? The answer will probably lie there somewhere.

rawprawn 16:31 05 Jun 03

Thanks for the reply, I did read the research from Google but I didn't understand it it's a bit technical for me. However the only thing I can think of along the lines of your last answer is that there was an "update" from Freeserve that I downloaded at their request supposedly to make my connections better, I wonder could that be it. The other thing is it spyware?

Valvegrid 17:45 05 Jun 03

Just a thought, if you can find where it's sitting in your filing system, may be in the program files, see if you can find a readme file or a txt file in the folders, sometimes this can give you a clue to it's purpose in life.

Paul.

DieSse 18:07 05 Jun 03

The other thing is it spyware?

Well no, not really - it's a legitimate network tool for monitoring and investigating network activity. however, i don't really think you have any proper use for it on your system.

It may have been downloaded with the Freeserve investigation - it's the sort of tool they could use - but I don't think you'd want it running all the time.

There are some people on the Forum who undoubtedly know more about network monitoring and investigations than I do. Perhaps one of them will see this and comment - The FE may be such a one.

rawprawn 19:08 05 Jun 03

As I said it was in program files, there were two text files one was log which seemed to be logging each install & uninstall but I really am not sure because I could interpret it as the log of what it would show if I decide to uninstall the program. Anyway because I don't like programs that I have not agreed to download, or add ons that nobody told me about I have uninstalled the program just now while on line. I will see if I get any adverse reactions on my computer. Thankyou for your help, I will give it a day or so, then if nothing happens mark this thread as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…