$win_NT$.~BT

chub_tor 19:03 23 Mar 04

This file, plus two others with extremely long numbers 9469b....a13d and 241087c....9858 have turned up in my root directory since I upgraded from Windows Me to XP. Does anyone know if they are important or can I delete them?

AndySD 19:13 23 Mar 04

For $win_NT$.~BT it looks like you can delete it.It is a temporary Windows XP setup folder. But my personal advice on this is to remame the files and bive it a week to see if anything goes wrong before deleting them.

temp003 04:52 24 Mar 04

One use of the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder is where XP stores the temporary installation files. In a normal installation, this folder is deleted after the installation.

Another is, during an upgrade (not a format and clean install), XP Setup backs up the previous operating system files, to give you an option to revert to the previous OS. The $WIN_NT$.~BT folder (probably with different contents) is one of the folders needed for the reversion, along with c:\undo folder, and possibly other folders.

The folders with long strings of letters and numbers may be related to that, but I'm not sure.

If you're not sure whether XP agrees entirely with your hardware and software, leave the folders alone for the time being.

If you're happy with the new OS, and want to remove the backup files, don't do it manually, use Microsoft's option.

To remove backup of previous OS, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…