WinMedPlayer9 do not play DVDs. Why?

Zerogravity 17:32 28 Feb 09

I have trouble playing DVDs on my PC (Running XP Home), I have never tried to play a DVD before, I just used CDs most of the time, to install drivers and play games.
Now I tried to play a DVD, but it says that :
" Window Media Player cannot play this DVD because a problem occurred with digital copyright protection."
When I dig a bit deeper, I get the error : Error ID=C00D1163 Condition ID=0x00000000
Something about WMP not set up to play DVD when installed on new PCs?
I have Nero 7 on my netbook, (some free trial for 3 months) and the DVDs are playing fine on Nero, but not on WMP, same problem than on my PC.
What is missing to make Window Media Player plays DVDs?

rdave13 18:06 28 Feb 09

This link shows WMP 9 no longer available for XP. click here
Have you tried updating to version 11 and also download K-Lite codec pack; click here

Zerogravity 18:27 28 Feb 09

My netbook (samsung NC10) which I bought last week comes with XP and has Window Media Player9 (I was surprised to see that it wasn't a later version of WMP).
I'll download K-Lite on my PC and see if it works with WMP9.
Maybe the netbook is not powerful enough to handle WMP10 or 11?

Zerogravity 21:21 28 Feb 09

I have found what was wrong.
I had a set of codecs I had downloaded, with media player classic.
It was a good while ago, and I remember watching some videos that I've downloaded from the internet with media player classic, but that set of codecs wasn't obviously associated with Window Media Player, probably a setting I didn't implement during the installation process.
I have downloaded K-Lite codecs (which prompted me to uninstall the first set of codecs, that's how I remembered), and it did the trick, the DVDs play with Window media player now.
I will do the same with the netbook, now I know it works.
Thanks for your help.

rdave13 21:35 28 Feb 09

Glad it's sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017